A microwave sweet potato is the fastest way to cook sweet potatoes; this cooking hack ensures the vegetable tastes perfectly “baked” every time. With this recipe, you will always have a delicious and healthy side dish in under 10 minutes.
If you love a good baked sweet potato but do not have the time, make a fluffy baked microwave sweet potato in a snap! With a creamy, luscious center, it tastes like it was baked in an oven for 1 hour.
With just 4 ingredients and 6 minutes, you can enjoy a “baked” sweet potato. What’s the secret? Keep scrolling to learn how to make the best microwave sweet potato.
Why you will love the Microwave Sweet Potato:
Quick and Easy! This is a convenient way to cook a sweet potato. Whether you are making lunch at work, need a side dish on a busy weeknight, or need mashed sweet potatoes for a recipe, this is the answer!
Super Nutritious! This superfood is low in calories and packed with potassium, protein, fiber, and vitamins. It is also super filling.
Absolutely Delicious! With a perfectly moist, tender, buttery center, no one can tell that it was cooked in the microwave and not baked.
Is it OK to microwave sweet potatoes?
The short answer is yes. Although I would not use microwaves for everything, they are especially good for steaming vegetables.
Do not worry about losing nutrients. The truth is, all cooking methods lead to the loss of nutrients because they use heat. The cooking time for sweet potatoes in the microwave is only 6 minutes so the loss is not substantial. Microwave sweet potatoes are a healthy side dish.
Ingredients for this Microwave Sweet Potato Recipe
To make an easy microwave sweet potato, you will need the following ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes: Use whole sweet potatoes and ensure they are cleaned and dried.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter so you can control the sodium.
- Seasoning: Salt and black pepper to taste.
How to make a Microwave Sweet Potato
Clean the skin of the sweet potato thoroughly. Use a fork to prick holes in each sweet potato, about 10-15 times.
Dampen two paper towels, and ring them out so they are not soaking wet. Wrap each sweet potato individually, in the damp paper towel.
Place the sweet potatoes in the microwave and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
Leave them in the microwave to steam in the damp paper towels for at least two minutes.
Remove them from the microwave and slit them down the middle, dress them with your butter and salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Tips and variations
Use this method to make your sweet potato pie! It cuts down the cooking time, and makes a great pie filling.
- Remember to wash the sweet potatoes before cooking them. All it takes is a quick rinse under cold water to remove dirt. Use a paper towel to dry them off.
- Use this same method for cubed sweet potatoes. Simply dice them up evenly, place them on a microwave-safe plate covered with dampened paper towels, and heat them up.
- For more flavor, add brown sugar to the cooked sweet potato. Alternatively, make this a satisfying meal by topping it with black beans after it is microwaved.
- If you have a leftover microwave sweet potato, allow it cool then place it in an airtight container or wrap it in aluminum foil. Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, you can microwave it again or pop it in the air fryer for a crispier finish.
Do I need to peel the sweet potato before cooking?
No. The skin of a sweet potato holds many nutrients. You can remove the skin if you prefer but it is not a necessary step.
How long does it take to microwave 2 sweet potatoes?
The cooking time will vary based on the size and age of the sweet potatoes, and the type of microwave. The smaller the sweet potato, the faster it cooks whereas large sweet potatoes will take longer.
Older sweet potatoes will take longer to cook and can dry out so try to use them while they are fresh. Cooking time may vary between 5-10 minutes based on these factors.
Is it better to bake or microwave sweet potatoes?
Microwave sweet potatoes are better for convenience’s sake. If you want creamy mashed potatoes, then this recipe is perfect. However, you will not get a super crispy skin or the deep caramelized flavor that comes with making a baked potato.
But you can brush it with oil and place it in the oven for about 5 minutes to crisp up the skin after cooking it in the microwave. You can also season the cooked sweet potato.
What to eat with a baked sweet potato
Sweet potatoes are such a versatile vegetable. They are delicious when eaten alongside a perfectly cooked steak!
More delicious side dishes you’ll love
- Easy Oven Roasted Broccoli with Bacon
- Roasted Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts
- The Best Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 2 whole Sweet Potatoes, cleaned and dried
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the skin of the sweet potato thoroughly. Use a fork to prick holes in each sweet potato, about 10-15 times.
- Dampen two paper towels, and ring them out so they are not soaking wet. Wrap each sweet potato individually, in the damp paper towel.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the microwave and microwave on high for 6 minutes.
- Leave them in the microwave to steam in the damp paper towels for at least two minutes.
- Remove them from the microwave and slit them down the middle, dress them with your butter and salt and pepper, and enjoy!